HOW I GOT MY NAME AND WHY I WILL STICK TO IT

For me, a name is spiritual and unique. No two people who bear the same name are the same. Names goes along way to place value and singles one out of a crowd.
A name is not just a form of identity, it's a person's story, prophecy being fulfilled or going to be fulfilled or a testimony to the a past event. What people are named varies from person to person, from tribe to tribe and from culture to culture. In this part of the world (Nigeria), names are mostly given based on past experiences, prophecies fulfilled, agony or pain surrounding a birth etc.

When parents get a full and proper understanding of the importance of giving positive names to their children, they will apply  wisdom and care in naming. These names follows an individual for life. This is why most people especially Ladies change their names later in life. As soon as they grow up to the realization of the meaning and its effect on their lives, they seek for another more meaningful name to identify with.

I must say at this point that, while some change their names for spiritual or meaningful reasons, others change theirs to belong to a social class and pretend to be civilized or western.
For an instance, a girl is given a name like Osebhagimederudugbe (God didn't let me fall in shame). This names originates from the Ishan speaking part of Edo State. She grows up and becomes ashamed to bear this name simply because it sounds local or its too long. Now, that name is a testimony of how God either helped or delivered her parents which could possibly also act as a prophecy for her. She ignores all that positivity and pick Diana or Brian just because it sounds modern or acceptable. But should a name be all about acceptability? This to me is as a result of inferiority complex ( when one thinks less of his/her self). The feeling being accepted or been believed to be of a particular class can drive anyone to change his or her name.

Have you ever come across a friend who used to be called a particular name in primary or secondary school and you meet again after so many years and they are called something else entirely? Some even go as far as being ashamed or furious when someone who had known them for a long time calls them that 'old name'. It goes to show how far some folks can go just to get that shoulder raise in the society.
I grew up being called Iziengbe ( which means patience) or Isibhakhomen ( which means I prosper in a foreign land). I have also have an English name called Faith though nobody called me that until I left home to a state where they found it very difficult to pronounce my name. Though  I was never comfortable with that because, my native name speaks of my origin and all I am so proud of it. They chose to call me  Faith just for the sake of easy pronounciation even though I always register my native name and I use it on any official document. My native names were born out of the experiences of my parents before I was born and it is their testimony of how God  had prospered them at my birth. They waited for a long time in marriage before they had me.  My names are a consistent reminder of my testimony. How can I ever seek to erase that?

Although, I am never comfortable when people call me Faith because, it just almost feels like my origin and real identity is being taken away. My native name speaks of my origin and all that I am. And I am so proud of it!

At some point in my life, it seemed like I always had to endure a lot of situation and unpleasant conditions. So, I pressed God to infuse into my name virtue, positivity and speed in my life and it worked. My life is a total reflection of one whom God has helped.  And I have never sort to change my name for any reason.  I have grown to be proud of my name, my testimony and my origin.

I am so the strong opinion that names can be changed if they go against your faith as a believer or against your path in life but it must never be changed to fit into any kind of social status whatsoever or for mere recognition sake.
Be proud of that lovely native name that you bear! Be proud of your heritage!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fight between Chelsea and Manchester United

LOYALTY TO YOUR SPOUSE

Why teens fall prey to sexual acts